Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Family Day


New York Mini 10K
June 9, 2007
Racers: Mary, Lyle

I persuaded my husband, Mike, to accompany me on a trip into the city, promising him a day at the American Museum of Natural History, including the Hayden Planetarium. Our plan was to stay Friday and Saturday nights in Tarrytown. We would take the train into the city early Saturday morning, he would hang out in Central Park while I ran the race, and then we would go together to the museum. Mary had planned a trip to the city with her family as well, and was staying at a nearby Tarrytown hotel. Mary’s family’s ultimate destination, however, would be the Yankees game Saturday afternoon.

Mike and I picked up Mary at her hotel at 6:05 am, and we caught the 6:39 am train from Tarrytown to Grand Central Terminal. ($14.50 each roundtrip, offpeak, with free weekend parking at the Tarrytown station). We arrived at Grand Central about 40 minutes later, and were awestruck as we entered the cavernous main lobby. There were cyclists with their bikes all over the place--must have been on their way to a race or ride somewhere.

We headed out to 42nd street to catch the #104 bus which would take us pretty close to the race packet pickup and start. Since we started this project this was the first time I had taken the bus, and it was a nice alternative to the subway as you get to see a lot more. We arrived in plenty of time, got our bibs, Champion chips and t-shirts. Mike took our "before" picture, and then he was off to find coffee and a comfortable place to relax while he waited. At that point, the sky was overcast and we had felt a few drops of rain. The humidity was high but there was a slight breeze, and the temperature was in the 70s. Mary and I walked along Central Park West warming up and waiting for the race to start. We were both wearing our Women on the Run shirts, and a man holding a large camera asked if we were part of a NYRR team or club. We were sorry to say that we weren’t. He encouraged us to register our group as an NYRR club, despite our disclosure that we are very loosely organized.

As the runners started lining up, I decided that since I was going to be taking it easy (walking half the first half, running the second) due to an injury, that I would go up front and watch the elite runners take off at the start, and then head to the back of the pack. It was really a thrill to be up front and to see the elite women lined up across the front line, including Jelena Prokopcuka. I remember watching her win the NYC Marathon last November. I had recently read Kathrine Switzer’s book, Marathon Woman, which describes the birth of the New York Mini as the first all woman race back in 1972. And here we are 36 years later. Kathrine Switzer was also there to give words of encouragement. I felt like I was really part of something great to be here with these elite women runners, and especially those who had created the history of women’s running.

I then had a little comic relief. A wiry middle-aged man was standing next to me on the sideline of the race start, wearing shorts and a running singlet. He had that gruff New York City way of talking that I love. He was really excited, cheering and yelling “hey it’s the greatest race in the world!!” I was getting excited too. As we watched the elite runners together, I turned to him and said, “this is great… but as soon as the race starts, I’m going to go jump in at the back.” I was a little puzzled when he replied, “I am too!”

And then they were off. I headed back to find my place with the walkers. It was nice going down Central Park West. I admired the American Museum of History on my left, and looked forward to spending my afternoon there. As I walked quickly down the street, the day was heating up and the sun had come out. I wanted to run so badly, but I was following doctor’s orders and limiting my running mileage. I couldn’t wait until the halfway point when I could let go and run the rest of the way. That last half of the race was HOT. I had a cup of water or Gatorade at each stop, and pushed myself along. I distracted myself by looking for the Central Park landmarks that have become so familiar to me over the past 6 months. Since I ran the last half, I found myself passing a number of women at the back of the pack. Some seemed to be struggling and I was inspired by their determination to keep on going.

I was glad to see that finish line! My husband was standing there cheering me as I crossed the line. Mary had finished way ahead of me, and we posed for an “after” picture together looking flushed, sweaty and very happy. For once we had the luxury of staying afterwards for the awards ceremony since we didn’t have to rush back home, and that was a treat.

Then, Mary was off to meet her family at Yankee Stadium, and Mike and I headed to the Museum of Natural History. The sun was shining and we enjoyed the rest of this perfect spring day.

No comments: